Evidence-based Maternity Care | Childbirth Education
Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology | Miscarriage and Loss | Birth
Cesareans and VBAC | Breastfeeding | Postpartum Depression | Vaccines
Circumcision | Safety | Raising Children | Doulas | Midwives | Professional Organizations
Evidence-based Maternity Care
- Childbirth Connection is a not-for-profit organization that has worked to improve the quality of maternity care for mothers, babies and families since 1918. We promote safe, effective, and satisfying evidence-based maternity care.
- Coalition for Improving Maternity Services (CIMS) promote a wellness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs. The coalition authored the evidence-based Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative and the Ten Steps of Mother-Friendly Care.
- Six Keys to Preventing Complications and Giving Birth to a Healthy Baby from Midwifer Today Magazine
- Lamaze International based on six care practices that support normal birth: 1) labor begins on its own; 2) freedom of movement throughout labor; 3) continuous labor support; 4) no routine interventions; 5) spontaneous pushing in upright or gravity-neutral positions; and 6) no separation of mother and baby after birth with unlimited opportunities for breastfeeding.
- Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way Dr. Bradley believed that with adequate preparation and education along with help from a loving, supportive coach, most women can give birth naturally without drugs. He was also a pioneer in including fathers in the birth process. Over 86% of Bradley babies are born vaginally, without pain medication.
- Birthing from Within intuitive knowing (in your bones) and modern knowing (being savvy about the birth culture and the wide range of birth choices)
- Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators (ALACE) helps women reclaim trust in their ability to safely and dependably give birth.
- International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA) believes in freedom of choice based on knowledge of alternatives in family-centered maternity and newborn care.
- Birthworks International is based on the belief that the knowledge about how to give birth already exists within every woman.
- Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education.
- Hypbirth is a self-study course in daily relaxation that creates the discipline needed to birth in less time and in less pain.
- Hypnobabies is very comprehensive and successful, using medical hypnotic anesthesia techniques from Gerald Kein's Painless Childbirth program rather than simple visualization and imagery, and contains the same kinds of hypnotic scripts used by people who undergo surgery with hypnosis as their only anesthetic.
[ Back to Top ]
Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology
- Association for Pre- and Perinatal Psychology and Health (APPPAH) hold regional and international conferences, promote research, serve the public with valuable directories and resources, work to enhance the pregnancy experience and prevent birth trauma. We encourage development of new methods for healing the psychological wounds of pregnancy and birth.
- Natural Family Living - Right from the Start brings leading-edge understandings from fields such as prenatal and perinatal psychology, infant mental health, and the emerging new sciences to focus on optimizing the primary period of human development, preconception through the baby's first year of life.
Miscarriage and Loss
- Angel Babies Forever Loved provides pregnancy loss support.
- Hinds Hospice Angel Babies offers a perinatal hospice program designed for families whose unborn child has been diagnosed with a terminal condition, offering support during pregnancy and providing ideas for creating loving memories. Hospice services are available for babies who survive after birth and are in need of special care. Services are also available for families who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth or other infant death. Serving the Fresno, Madera and Merced areas.
- Guide to a Healthy Birth from Choices in Childbirth
- Having a Baby? 10 Questions to Ask from Coalition for Improving Maternity Services
- Comfort Measures for Labor from Mothering Magazine
- Pushing for First Time Moms from Midwifery Today
- The Hidden Risks of Epidurals from Mothering Magazine
- Cytotec Induction and Off-Label Use from Midwifery Today
- About Breech from Spinning Babies
- There's No Place Like Home from Mothering Magazine
- The Birth Survey is an on-going, online consumer survey that asks women to provide feedback about their birth experience with a particular doctor or midwife and within a specific birth environment within the last three years. The goal is to give women a mechanism that can be used to share information about maternity care practices in their community while at the same time providing practitioners and institutions feedback for quality of care improvement efforts.
- Solace for Mothers offers two online communities for discussion around the issue of birth trauma--one for women who have personally experienced a traumatic birth and one for the families, caregivers and advocates for those women.
[ Back to Top ]
Cesareans and VBAC
- International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN)
- VBAC Victory from Mothering Magazine
- Birth After Cesarean: A Primer for Success from Mothering Magazine
- Cesarean Birth in a Culture of Fear from Mothering Magazine
- The Rise of the C-Section from Valley Health Magazine
- Valley Births by C-Section Increasing from The Fresno Bee
- Busting Breastfeeding Myths from Mothering Magazine
- Tips for Pumping, Working, and Nursing Successfully from Dr. Jay Gordon
- Your Walking Medicine Chest and More Ways to Use Breastmilk from Mothering Magazine
- La Leche League International helps mothers to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, and information. Includes latest information about breastfeeding and the law.
- Kangaroo Mother Care general information about Kangaroo Care / Skin to Skin Contact
- "Just One Bottle Won't Hurt" ---or Will It? from Dr. Jay Gordon
- Good News for Moms: Treating and Preventing Thrush from Mothering Magazine
- But Is It Safe for My Baby? Medications and Breastfeeding from Mothering Magazine
- 101 Reasons to Breastfeed Your Child from ProMoM
- Dysphoric Milk Ejection Reflex general information about a newly recognized condition affecting lactating women that is characterized by an abrupt dysphoria, or negative emotions, that occur just before milk release and continuing not more then a few minutes.
- Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information on Breastfeeding
- Breast Pumps general information from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Profits over Children: Formula for Disaster from The Undercurrent
- Hospitals Stop Baby Formula Gifts from The Fresno Bee
[ Back to Top ]
- Postpartum Support International provides current information, resources, education, and advocates for further research and legislation to support perinatal mental health. Volunteers in every state provide support through the postpartum depression helpline 1-800-944-4PPD.
- Online PPD Support Group offers information, support and assistance to those dealing with postpartum mood disorders, their families, friends, physicians and counselors. We strive to help those who have not been personally touched by postpartum mental illness to understand that it is not something that one can "get over" or "wish away," or something that can necessarily be overcome with "more prayer" or "a better outlook."
- Postpartum Progress is the most widely-read blog in the U.S. on depression and anxiety during pregnancy and postpartum. It is aimed at women who suffer and the professionals who care for them.
- General information about vaccines from Mothering Magazine
- The Vaccine Book Online provides blog posts and discussion forums about alternative vaccine schedules, current vaccine brands and ingredient lists.
- www.circumcision.org provides general information about circumcision
- Cutting Kids from Mothering Magazine
- Protect Your Uncircumcised Son: Expert Medical Advice for Parents from Mothering Magazine
- American SIDS Institute is a national nonprofit health care organization dedicated to the prevention of sudden infant death.
- National Sudden and Unexpected Infant/Child Death Resource Center serves as a central source of information on sudden infant death and on promoting healthy outcomes for infants from the prenatal period through the first year of life and beyond.
- Consumer Reports provides independent ratings on consumer products.
- Car Safety Seat Guide from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Child Safety Seat Inspection Station Locator from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Safe Kids USA preventing accidental childhood injury
- Childrens Health Environmental Coalition a nonprofit organization inspiring parents to protect young children from harmful chemicals.
- Juvenile Products Manufacturer Association is a national trade organization representing 95% of the prenatal to preschool industry. Today, JPMA represents 250 companies in the United States, Canada, and Mexico who manufacture, import and/or distribute infant products such as cribs, car seats, strollers, bedding, and a wide range of accessories and decorative items.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children.
- Car Seat Buying Guide from CarSeatData.org, the leading online resource for parents seeking guidance toward the best car seat for their family, lifestyle, vehicle, and budget.
[ Back to Top ]
- Ask Dr. Sears America's family of pediatricians
- Dr. Jay Gordon covering topics from A to Z
- Attachment Parenting International (API) promotes parenting practices that create strong, healthy emotional bonds between children and their parents.
- The Natural Child Project works to 1) provide critical information on parenting with special regard to pregnancy and early childhood; 2) increase public awareness of the importance of parent-child bonding, and the legitimacy and critical importance of children's emotional needs at all stages; and 3) undertake projects which further our vision of the world in which all children are treated with dignity, respect, understanding and compassion.
- In the Kitchen with Baby from Mothering Magazine
- Cuddle Up! Slings and Baby Carriers from Midwifery Today
- Five Hurdles for Fathers from The Dad Man
- Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children (ATTACh) is an international coalition to increase awareness about attachment and its critical importance to human development.
- Touch the Future is a nonprofit organization that designs, develops and distributes communication tools--films, video presentations, print publications, CD/DVD, conferences, workshops and on-line technologies--that bridge the gap between the visionary research and educational community and mainstream parents, teachers, childcare providers and amateur athletic coaches. Our goal is to foster optimum learning, performance and well-being in all phases and stages of the adult-child relationship.
- Alliance for Holistic Family Health and Wellness for both parents and family health professionals.
- The National Parenting Center provides comprehensive and responsible parenting advice.
- Parents' Choice provides children's media and toy reviews.
- Zero to Three is a national nonprofit organization that informs, trains and supports professionals, policymakers and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers.
- Project NoSpank is a resource for parents, students, educators, education policymakers, healthcare providers, children's advocates, and all others who are concerned with the safety and wellbeing of children.
- Aware Parenting is a philosophy of child rearing based on current research in child development. Aware Parenting questions most traditional assumptions about raising children and proposes a new approach that can significantly improve relationships within a family.
- Alliance for Tranforming the Lives of Children (ATLC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting parents, caregivers, professionals, and policymakers in practicing the art and science of nurturing children.
- FresnoFamily.com where Fresno families can get to know their community, find local things to do together, and learn fun, family-friendly ideas and information
- Fresno Learning Village homeschool resource center
- A Homeschooling Primer from Mothering Magazine
[ Back to Top ]
- DONA Doulas of North America
- ALACE Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators
- CAPPA Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association
- DoulaMatch.net Find a doula
- DoulaNetwork.com Find a doula
- BellyWomen.net Free and low-cost doulas, childbirth educators, and postpartum assistants
- Operation Special Delivery Volunteer doulas for women who have husbands in military services
- ACNM American College of Nurse Midwives
- MANA Midwives Alliance of North America
- NARM North American Registry of Midwives
- NACPM National Association of Certified Professional Midwives
- CAM California Association of Midwives
- Citizens for Midwifery is a non-profit, volunteer, grassroots organization founded by several mothers in 1996. It is a national consumer-based group that promotes the Midwives Model of Care.
- MidwifeInfo is the independent internet resource for natural women's health information.
- ACBE Academy of Certified Birth Educators & Labor Support Professionals
- AIMS Alliance for the Improvement of Maternity Services
- AABC American Association of Birth Centers
- ANACS Association of Nurse Advocates for Childbirth Solutions
- AWHONN Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses
- IBLCE International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
- ILCA International Lactation Consultant Association
- WABA World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action
[ Back to Top ]